"The willingness to be and to have just what God wants us to be and to have, nothing more, nothing less, and nothing else, would set our hearts at rest, and we would discover that the simpler the life the greater the peace." - Elisabeth Elliot in The Shaping of a Christian Family

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Planning the Homeschooling...Finally

I finally had time to sit at my desk today and work out a general plan for our school year. Yeah, I know, everybody else had that done months ago. Well, I could spend a bunch of time and space to explain why I haven't, but instead I'll share a little of what inspiration hit today.

We lean toward an unschooling Charlotte Mason style of eclectic homeschooling (figure that out if you can) and have done lots of studies in the summer, too, so I figured it was time to embrace our year-round scheduling fully. I read one blog wherein they scheduled their "Sabbath schooling" on a mostly seven-week schedule with one of those weeks being a week off. They named each "term" based on the Christian church calendar. I thought that was pretty cool, but wanted something a little different, so I came up with a schedule and term names that fit our family nerdiness just fine.


Yes, I named the terms after our some of our favorite authors. And each term is going to focus on a topic that goes well with that author.

The colored weeks are the weeks we'll not do our normal studies (yes, of course we'll continue with our read-alouds, don't be silly), so we'll have a week off every 6-7 weeks with three off at Christmas time. Since we are who we are and since life is entirely unpredictable with the process of moving going on, I'm sure we'll be taking other times off. After we get moved and maybe into a co-op, we may cut down to a four-day week also. Or maybe it will work out best to just have a four-day week anyhow so we can clean house, or grocery shop, or do art or music. Who knows?

This year-at-a-glance page is going into the cover pocket of my planner notebook.

To divide up the planner into term sections, I made these divider pages:


The other terms with their emphases are:

Jane Austen Term 
Manners & Social Graces through Hospitality and Traditions & practicing how to write letters and cards (including "thank you" cards)

C.S. Lewis Term
Theology/Philosophy/Worldview through doing the Starting Points study (includes reading 3 of the Chronicles of Narnia books and Mere Christianity)

J.R.R. Tolkein Term
Language through Spanish 1 from BJU Press

Francis Hodgson Burnett Term
Gardening & Health/Nutrition through gardening, possibly reading The French Don't Diet or Naturally Healthy Woman by Shonda Parker

Beatrix Potter Term
Herbs & Nature Study through various herb books & websites, gardening, and Handbook of Nature Study book & website


Within each notebook section I will put our weekly lesson plans and daily schedule which is just a kinda plain thing I made in Excel.





How do you plan out your year?





4 comments:

  1. Don't feel so bad.. I STILL haven't planned mine yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan. Thanks for linking up with the #LMMLinkup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so organized!

    Thanks for linking up at Grace + Lace!

    Sarah
    http://mybowsandclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you named the terms on favorite authors and subjects that match! That is a very neat idea!!! Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.